Hi. I love you all. Am also struggling major with this
keyboard, so goodbye 124 wpm, hello 9 wpm. Can’t figure how to do enter, which
is AWESOME. Or not. So sorry if this is the strangest formatted email evaaaah.
August
6-7
No tears (on my part), just hugs, peace, & excitement. Exactly as I prayed for. Have I mentioned God is good? Aka the BEST? All the elders and sisters are so sweet and funny. As we flew out tonight, the valley edged by deep, beautiful darkness, we saw the Salt Lake and Draper temples. Quelle symbolism! I thought. And as we flew into Guate, the sun started rising, a growing streak of color slowly lighting the night. God officially owes me zero cool symbolism/omens the rest of my mission. We land in 20 - time flies when you're having fun? Even more so when you're making terrible puns about flying. *** That sunrise is like perfectly straight. All's I'm saying is are we maybe all too harsh on the poor what’s its who though the Earth was flat?? #deepimportantquestions. I keep putting this dang journal away and then whipping it back out again. I've just seen the smoky silhouette of a mountain and it is one of the most delicious things I've ever seen. I'm here. Lights in Guatemala! Dawn in Guatemala! Mountains in Guatemala! BIG FREAKING FLUFFY CLOUD IN GUATEMALA. Houses in Guatemala! If the rest of the day is anything like this, this journal's going to be full by the end of it. Not stoked, pumped, excited, ready, happy - all those things, certainly, but most overwhelmingly, blessed. Greeted in the airport by the "What Makes You Beautiful" music video. BienveNIDOS! *** Overheard at the CCM (Guate MTC) "Later, I'm going to crash." "Maybe later you'll be blessed." Miserable and exhausted by end of day (because being up for 48 hours is the worst?) but a quick prayer with mi companera Hermana Brewster (Looks like Baby Spice, is from Idaho, is ridiculously sweet and I love her) before Prep. and all was well. But manana will be AMAZE, right? *** Just as we were turning the lights off, it started raining in the hall, full deluge. Nothing like a flood to bring Latinas and Norteamericanas together! There's a kind of major separation between the Latinas and the Norteamericanas, because we have separate classes, separate church meetings, etc., etc., because of the difference in time at the CCM and language. But can I say this in a non-cheesy way? I love everyone. Like to do el mundo. Also everyone is loving helping everyone else out and people are never what you think they are. (Aka the beautiful frigid Latina in our room is not frigid after all, but warm and sweet. I was shoving suitcases on top of the closets as the flood seeped in and suddenly from behind came an extra pair of hands and a smile and a laugh.) Things like this over and over and over and OH CHEESY VALLEY. And I love the CCM because the Provo MTC is far too pulled together and prim to ever rain from the ceiling, I'm quite sure. Just sayin'. RUSTIC CHARM RIGHT HERE. Also I just remembered that I JUST prayed right before the flood for increased love for everyone and do you SEE the sappy ode to todo el mundo I just wrote? #GODISTHEBESAT #alsoHerocksforpointingoutHisawesomenesstome *** The What of the gospel: The Atonement, the Resurrection, Judgment Day, Faith, Charity, Repentance, Baptism, Eternal Joy and Salvation. The Why: To cleanse people so they can receive His mercy. "For behold, this is my joy and salvation, that ye might have eternal life." Or something. The Why of this gospel is to balance the eternal law of justice with the eternal law of mercy. God is playing by eternal, unchangeable rules, and this is our straightest shot to eternal joy.
No tears (on my part), just hugs, peace, & excitement. Exactly as I prayed for. Have I mentioned God is good? Aka the BEST? All the elders and sisters are so sweet and funny. As we flew out tonight, the valley edged by deep, beautiful darkness, we saw the Salt Lake and Draper temples. Quelle symbolism! I thought. And as we flew into Guate, the sun started rising, a growing streak of color slowly lighting the night. God officially owes me zero cool symbolism/omens the rest of my mission. We land in 20 - time flies when you're having fun? Even more so when you're making terrible puns about flying. *** That sunrise is like perfectly straight. All's I'm saying is are we maybe all too harsh on the poor what’s its who though the Earth was flat?? #deepimportantquestions. I keep putting this dang journal away and then whipping it back out again. I've just seen the smoky silhouette of a mountain and it is one of the most delicious things I've ever seen. I'm here. Lights in Guatemala! Dawn in Guatemala! Mountains in Guatemala! BIG FREAKING FLUFFY CLOUD IN GUATEMALA. Houses in Guatemala! If the rest of the day is anything like this, this journal's going to be full by the end of it. Not stoked, pumped, excited, ready, happy - all those things, certainly, but most overwhelmingly, blessed. Greeted in the airport by the "What Makes You Beautiful" music video. BienveNIDOS! *** Overheard at the CCM (Guate MTC) "Later, I'm going to crash." "Maybe later you'll be blessed." Miserable and exhausted by end of day (because being up for 48 hours is the worst?) but a quick prayer with mi companera Hermana Brewster (Looks like Baby Spice, is from Idaho, is ridiculously sweet and I love her) before Prep. and all was well. But manana will be AMAZE, right? *** Just as we were turning the lights off, it started raining in the hall, full deluge. Nothing like a flood to bring Latinas and Norteamericanas together! There's a kind of major separation between the Latinas and the Norteamericanas, because we have separate classes, separate church meetings, etc., etc., because of the difference in time at the CCM and language. But can I say this in a non-cheesy way? I love everyone. Like to do el mundo. Also everyone is loving helping everyone else out and people are never what you think they are. (Aka the beautiful frigid Latina in our room is not frigid after all, but warm and sweet. I was shoving suitcases on top of the closets as the flood seeped in and suddenly from behind came an extra pair of hands and a smile and a laugh.) Things like this over and over and over and OH CHEESY VALLEY. And I love the CCM because the Provo MTC is far too pulled together and prim to ever rain from the ceiling, I'm quite sure. Just sayin'. RUSTIC CHARM RIGHT HERE. Also I just remembered that I JUST prayed right before the flood for increased love for everyone and do you SEE the sappy ode to todo el mundo I just wrote? #GODISTHEBESAT #alsoHerocksforpointingoutHisawesomenesstome *** The What of the gospel: The Atonement, the Resurrection, Judgment Day, Faith, Charity, Repentance, Baptism, Eternal Joy and Salvation. The Why: To cleanse people so they can receive His mercy. "For behold, this is my joy and salvation, that ye might have eternal life." Or something. The Why of this gospel is to balance the eternal law of justice with the eternal law of mercy. God is playing by eternal, unchangeable rules, and this is our straightest shot to eternal joy.
August 8
Today was fantastic. I absolutely love my district. We
sing hymns TODO EL FREAKING TIEMPO and it's the greatest. Somos ADORBS. Even if
I knew how to say it in Spanish, adorbs would still be the right word for it.
Nuestra maestra, Hermana Chavez is also totally the best teacher in the CCM.
Nbd. And she's such a sassmouth, I love it. Hermana Brewster and I taught
Daniel for the first time tonight. He works in the kitchen as a chef in the
afternoon, goes to university in the morning, and came to us because his 15
year old brother is going down the wrong path and he wants to be a good example
to him. His spirit is SO sweet, and I mean that in the most over
whelmingly sincere way possible. It was so hard to trust my companera in the
lesson, especially when I'd only just met her. In a situation where, really,
everything rides on it, I get scared. Because I don't know what she'll say,
simply because I don't have control over it. (#controlfreakmuch?) But I'm
already learning to have trust and be willing to hand the reins over. Anyways,
Daniel is absurdly adorable and open and I really, really pray we can bless his
life and his family's.
P.S. My Spanish is already coming along amazingly,
so thanks for the gift of tongues, I swear. I don't know this much Spanish, but
when I need it, I do.
P.P.S. The
desserts here are AMAZING.
August 9
It sounds so
silly, but this is already the best thing I've ever done. Today
was...phenomenal. Let's do this: Our second 2 hour meeting was amazing; my
favorite part was these 3 videos that were just about 3 women from NYC telling
their stories - not members, not about the Church, or missionaries – just about
their lives, their joys, their trials. And at the end of each video, we were
asked, " What do you love about ____? How do you think God feels when he
sees her?" That's it. It was so beautiful and positive. *** Our district
sang a lot today, surprise, and tonight we all taught Daniel again! Each of our
lessons built on each other, spirit wise, and each companionship came back
feeling progressively better. We all talked together in between, and by the
time Elder Uribe and Elder Wilson went, they were like, we WILL get him to
pray, this is what he needs. Because we all asked Daniel to pray at the end of
our lessons and he was like, no, no. They came back whooping and dancing and he
said a beautiful prayer, they all cried together, and he asked them to have us
all pray for him tonight. LA IGLESIA ES VERDADERA. Then we all sang a hymn (que
sorpresa!) and prayed together, kneeling in a circle. Cannot say enough about
the power of the Spirit, the power of prayer, the strength in unified numbers,
and the power of faith and persistence. I don't know if I've ever been so
sincerely stressed and nervous in my life as I was for our lessons tonight -
when it was not my own happiness and peace at risk, but another's. But I also
don't know if I've ever felt such pure joy and love as I have tonight. I've
come close, but this? This is why I'm here. To see amazing children of God like
Daniel find, in his own words, peace, as he comes to Christ. Have I mentioned?
LA IGLESIA ES VERDADERA! (Best prayer in mi vida tonight.)
August 10
August 10
For every amazing
thing about yesterday, today...lesson after lesson bombed, and Daniel just got
more and more confused and cynical and you could tell he wasn't feeling the
Spirit. But this night got better, and I love love love my district and am incredibly
grateful for them. Now more than ever. So, we're all stressing in the classroom,
talking – what went wrong, how can we help him feel the Spirit like he did
yesterday, what made today so different? We tried so hard, we felt so much
love. As we're all anxiously talking, dear little Elder Uribe is pacing, all stressed
about his and Elder Wilson's lesson, which is last. And finally, he goes up to
the whiteboard and writes neatly, as everyone frets, "Why should we mourn
or think our lot is hard Tis not so, all is right.
Why should we think to earn a great reward If
we now shun the fight?" and wrote beside it, with a smiley face, "Don't
give up! :)" Which more or less made my day. & we're singing "Mas
Cerca Dios, A Ti" ("Nearer, My God to Thee") in Sacrament tomorrow
because our district = MoTab. The end? *** And I've never heard this in
my life, but I've been told twice today that I look like Adele. Think it is the
middle part, big hair, prim dresses, and major cat-eye. So you win some, you
lose some!
August 11
For Sacrament meeting, everyone prepares a talk, and then after the Sacrament is passed, they announce a speaker from each District. Can anyone say Hunger Games?? Also called Adele again today, JUST SAYING. Sunday her eis so relaxing and edifying. Last night, Hermana V. was sobbing in her bunk, and all the other Latinas, one after another, over and over, quietly said wonderful things to and about her. That she is strong, that she is sweet, that she is in the right place, that she is loved, that she is an incredible person. Almost a soothing chant. It was so beautiful. I love our Latinas always, but especially then. And they all just knelt in a circle and each one prayed after the other. I am so blessed to be at the CCM with such faithful sisters. And we did splits today with the Latinas and my companion Hermana Avilar was sweet and amazing. In the name of Jesus Chr WOAH. Too much CCM!
August 11
For Sacrament meeting, everyone prepares a talk, and then after the Sacrament is passed, they announce a speaker from each District. Can anyone say Hunger Games?? Also called Adele again today, JUST SAYING. Sunday her eis so relaxing and edifying. Last night, Hermana V. was sobbing in her bunk, and all the other Latinas, one after another, over and over, quietly said wonderful things to and about her. That she is strong, that she is sweet, that she is in the right place, that she is loved, that she is an incredible person. Almost a soothing chant. It was so beautiful. I love our Latinas always, but especially then. And they all just knelt in a circle and each one prayed after the other. I am so blessed to be at the CCM with such faithful sisters. And we did splits today with the Latinas and my companion Hermana Avilar was sweet and amazing. In the name of Jesus Chr WOAH. Too much CCM!
P.S.
I've stopped biting my nails! Nothing cures a bad habit like fear of disease.
#ancientchineseproverb.
P.P.S. You may have noticed mytennis shoes are still
sitting happily on my shoe rack. It'll be cheaper for me to buy some here than
for you to send them, so just give them love and affection and tell them I'll
return to them someday.
P.P.P.S HUG MY DOG FOR ME. LIKE ALL THE TIME.
August 12
Me gustan deportes y...me gusta que Daniel is coming to church on Sunday and will pray if he should get baptized and he knows the church and the Book of Mormon are true and it's NO. BIG. DEAL. So so so happy for him. Also today was terrific fun and I have I mentioned I love the Hispanos? I love them. (Except when they turn the lights on at 5:45, let's be honest.)
August 12
Me gustan deportes y...me gusta que Daniel is coming to church on Sunday and will pray if he should get baptized and he knows the church and the Book of Mormon are true and it's NO. BIG. DEAL. So so so happy for him. Also today was terrific fun and I have I mentioned I love the Hispanos? I love them. (Except when they turn the lights on at 5:45, let's be honest.)
August 13
My district: we sing all the time. Pyper does magic tricks, Stuart Little makes his precious jokes, then sits there grinning, Wilson and Uribe exchange boy stories, Godfrey makes sweet dorky jokes, and Hermana Chavez presides over us all, nearly hiding her smile. Also the Latinos convinced one of the elders that "caballo" means stupid. So he's been going around, going, "you're so horse!" I LOVE THE LATIONS.
My district: we sing all the time. Pyper does magic tricks, Stuart Little makes his precious jokes, then sits there grinning, Wilson and Uribe exchange boy stories, Godfrey makes sweet dorky jokes, and Hermana Chavez presides over us all, nearly hiding her smile. Also the Latinos convinced one of the elders that "caballo" means stupid. So he's been going around, going, "you're so horse!" I LOVE THE LATIONS.
MTC Devotional with my favorites Apostle ever, Elder
Richard G. Scott! (Live streaming from Provo, and I just saw Matt Lutz in the
choir!) Daniel is here, he asked if he could come, and I am praying so hard that
he will feel the Spirit. ELDER SCOTT IS TALKING ON PRAYER TONIGHT. How did you
know, Elder Scott? This, I think, is exactly what Daniel needs to hear. Elder
Scott would wait til his companion fell asleep, go out of earshot, and pray out
loud - he'd literally talk to God because it made him feel closer and I LOVE
HIM. "I turned the gas down. I got into bed. I said some words to the
close and holy darkness and then I slept." – Dylan Thomas
Now Elder Scott's talking on ASKING IN FAITH,
"according to your faith it shall be done unto you" ??? The Spirit is
too amazing. "Blessed art thou...for thou hast inquired of me."
Doctrine and Covenants 6:23. Ye'es. For Daniel y mi.
"Did I not speak peace unto your mind concerning the matter?" Doctrine
and Covenants 6:23. Also he's sharing a GUATE STORY.
It's nooo big deal. He blessed, with apostolic authority, those who are learning
a language, that they will have the gift of tongues, and Brewster looks at me,
crying and smiling, and GOD IS SO GOOD. She needed that. So many actual
special spirits in our district and I am so grateful for everyone and especially
for how sweet and sensitive Elder Uribe is as our district leader. Really
grateful for his leadership and love. Grateful for Elder Wilson's family
tradition of complimenting the person who gives the prayer, and him, for
passing it on to us, because it makes our district prayers really lovely.
DANIEL TOLD HNA.S FUNK Y GODFREY AFTER THE DEVOTIONAL THAT HE WANTS TO GET BAPTISED.
God is amazing, have I mentioned? I am so happy for him, and I pray he sticks
with it. Con amor y agradecida, Tabby
August 14
August 14
The
Guatemala City Temple is beautiful and I love it. I love my district. And
I loooove P-Day. ME GUSTA. So...Hna Brewster and I had an amazing lesson with
Daniel. So simple - we said we were so proud of him, bore our testimonies of
the power of baptism, expressed our joy, and had him read Matthew 3:16-17. He
bore a simple, beautiful testimony, said a beautiful, sweet prayer, and we all
cried and the Spirit was SO strong.
P.S. The
accordion door brand here is "WONDOOR". ME GUSTA.
August 15
We
have a new maestro, Hermano Cano, and he is so sweet and funny. MARIACHI BAND
at lunch for the CCM president's birthday. Also a huge, beautiful, amazing
cake. It was SO much fun. The CCM is the best is all I'm saying. At night the
Latinas & Nortes in our room exchange lists of words, and the hour before
bed is filled with English and Spanish flying back and forth,
"man-dah-me-entos", "eeee-male".
August 16
It
makes me crazy that we're always inside! GIVE ME MORE TREES OR SOMETHING. (And
please keep the fig tree at the CRE lab because I love it, k thanks.) Really
great day, though. So Elder Pyper learned how to do magic tricks for the kids
here, which is too precious. We're all crowded around his and Elder Stuart's
desk as he does a card trick. The door starts to open, the cards disappear, and
Elder Stuart looks at the book in his lap and reads the first thing he sees,
saying woodenly, "The bishop, who is the leader of the ward, lives near
here." Hermano Cano grabs a notebook, walks back out, and we all burst out
laughing. I promise we're really actually quite good. Usually. I love them,
love them, love them.
August 17,
The
gate man just handed two steaming cups of that amazing
chocolate-rice-cinammon-milk stuff through the gate, to the guards, all smiles.
The mornings here are so nice, by the way. I love them. Also was reading Enos
1:1 and I totally want to raise my children like Enos's father raised him. There's
like nine squillion little kids here, some kind of stake primary activity, and
they're coming through, shaking all our hands very professionally, beming.
"Hola!" "Hola!" "Hola!" It makes me feel so
proud, like I'm a missionary. These little kids look up to all of us.
It's like my heart is made of sunshine. They are SO CUTE. "No nation will
rise above the caliber of its homes."
August 18
Missing
you guys and London, too, like mad today! But I am so excited to be here, and
I'm excited to carry Guate in my heart the rest of my life; to take my
experiences and joys here with me. It rains all the time and I love it SO
BLOODY MUCH. I spray my perfume in my hair because then you always leave a
faint trail of eau de awesome behind you. (Thank Beyonce for the trick.) The
Latinas in our room saw me doing it and asked why, and the most ridiculous,
hilarious pantomime ensued. And they still don't know what I was saying, so now
they think I'm crazy. Nbd. Sundays are SO edifying, have I mentioned? Also we
watch a lot of movies, so today we watched The Testaments and also Legacy, and
sooo cheesy, but I think we're all just so happy to be watching a movie,
period. THERE'S EVEN KISSING IN LEGACY! woot woot! And it still makes me cry even when it's SO
DARN CHEESY. Darn Spirit. And guys. This is all so much bigger than we can ever
imagine. Have faith, baby. And I love my district. HAVE I MENTIONED?
Welllllll I love you people! Be
good, be safe, and be grateful for U.S. food that doesn't give you the runs
every ten seconds. And be grateful in general because we are lucky, lucky
people, and we have each other. I miss and love you guys! Xxx your favorite
sista missionary.
No comments:
Post a Comment