Friday, December 6, 2013


November 12,

Report from the frontlines.
There is a phrase in Spanish that translates to "mini-clothes". Why do we not have that phrase in English?
We contacted 505 people one day for the mission's "Semana Perfecta".
It was absolutely nuts. I contacted CLOWNS.
And as Hermana Coleman put it, "I think I'm contacting gangs."
(This telegram style thing is killing me. Must stop.)
I love that it's completely normal here to describe people asi: "Oh, the short fat old lady on the corner." "Oh, this is my fat child and over there is my skinny one."
'Mazing investigators, 'mazing converts, 'mazing ward, 'mazing area. I get the feeling I'm not staying in Amatitlan after this change and I already miss it!

Sorry my e-mails are so weak sauce these days, but know I love you all como loca.
Con todo mi amor,
Hermana Brower



November 27,
[Insert Cheesy Title Here]
(I think "The Miracle of the Rice and Beans" will do nicely.)
 From left to right: Edgar, your favorite missionary, Sarina, Mica.


This is my Amatitlan-ian family. 
Edgar is a quiet, sweet man who is experiencing the miracle of how the gospel doesn't just change what we do, but who we become - more like Christ.
Sarina is the ultimate huggable Latin mama, and a woman of incredible faith. We're getting there. 
Mica is my little model twin. Because we look exactly alike, I don't know, I'm sure you guys can tell.

Sunday morning, we had an (amazing) session of Conference where Elder Scott and Elder Eyring spoke to Guatemala. (Elder Scott did his talk in Spanish, And used "tu" form because his wife always said it showed more love. So I love him or something.) And Sarina came with us and about halfway through the meeting, leaned over and asked us if we'd like her to bring by beans and rice that night, when we got back in the house - she really worries that we don't eat dinner. We said if she was already making some for her family, then she could bring us leftovers if she wanted, that would be amazing. And that was the end of that.

That night, about two hours before she was going to come over with the beans and rice, we ran into her in the street carrying a huge pot.
She told us this story.

That morning in Conference, she had been worrying about what we were going to eat for dinner (I'm telling you, she mothers us to death and I love it). She felt like she should offer us rice and beans, so she did. After, she sat there in the conference and thought, "I don't have rice or beans. I don't even have food for my family today. What am I going to feed them?" But she said she knew it would work out somehow. 

Later that day, a neighbor came knocking...with 3 pounds of beans. A couple of hours later, another came knocking - they just had this huge bag of rice lying around, did she want it? 
And there was rice and beans for everyone.
And that is the miracle. 
And for her, she felt like it was the sweetest reminder from God that he never looks away from our trails - that he's always mindful of us. 

And I would say that rice and beans have never tasted so good because of the sacrifice and faith and miracle behind them, 
but they were just really good. Mama Sarina can cooook.

Love you all.
Be faithful and trust in good things to come.

Love,
Hermana Brower


December 3rd, 


 
 That picture should probably just make you really happy. #ILOVEAMATITLAN

And so should this one.

From left to right: Your favorite Sistah, her fantastic companion (Hna. Coleman), Angel (who baptized Andrea), Daniela (Andrea's PILAS sister), Andrea and her little girl Angi, who is the most flat out gorgeous little child in all of Guatemala, Bishop Baltazar, Georgina (87 years old. I'm just saying.), Doris & her whole adorable crew, and Elders Diebold & Raudales.

And the whole affair was, as Georgina put it, "bastante alegre". In English: too happy for words.

Cambios are coming on the 11th and my comp. has already recieved the call that she's going to be training, so odds are huge that I'm heading out into the big wide world and away from my little mountain home. But I feel so blessed to have been here and I am so excited for the adventure that lays ahead! 

I love you all & am thrilled to hear your Thanksgivings were great. I am so thankful for all of you and your support and letters. (Truly, madly, deeply grateful.) I hope you all remember how blessed you are -- as KJ beat me to the Anastasia-quote-punch the other week: "Be grateful, Anya."

"Happiness comes when your work and words are of benefit to others." - Siddhartha Gautama

I can honestly say that my happiness here comes from that, even when it's hard, even when I'm tired or starving or don't have clean clothes or dry shoes or nobody wants to listen or nobody comes to their bautismal interviews (See: The whole month of November). I can see people's faith growing, I can see their hope in a better world growing, I can see that their lives are being blessed because some Gringa walked up to them one day and told them there's one true church and they can know it by asking God if that's true. That is such happiness to me. And to see them come out of the waters of baptism grinning or crying, to see them reading the scriptures with this great unquenchable thirst - that is happiness here. And I am so grateful for it.

Also I got proposed to by a 6 year old in the street last night - in English.  Needless to say, I immediately accepted.
Also the other day we were walking back from Andrea's interview and passed a wedding. I said to Andrea, "¡Un bolo! ¡Que alegre!"
Too bad that the word for wedding in Spanish is "bola". And the word for "bolo" in English is "drunk".
Because drunks are just really happy. (¿¿¿Por que me ha dejado, EspaƱol???)

ALSO I FINALLY HAVE A SAN LORENZO SHIRT. San Lorenzo is the pilas area where I live, and it's also a futbol team. I have been longing for a San Lorenzo shirt for a month and a half, and now it is finally in my posession and it is a soft dream. It's KIND OF A BIG DEAL.
I love you cool cats!

Love,
Hermana Brower
And Happy Thanksgiving from a town where people let their turkeys sleep in their beds.
I am so grateful for all of you.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment