Muy
rapidito, my loves. (Because EVERYTHING in Guatemala is "ito" or
"ita")
The other
day, I had a bag of chicken stomach in my backpack. Because I had been fed it.
For lunch. And ended up sneaking most of it into a plastic bag and then
sneaking it out of the house in my backpack. Has anything as disgusting
as that ever happened to you? I hope not.
This never
fails to amuse me, and I don't know why, because, er, English is different from
Spanish, but in Spanish, when you call cats, you say, "Mishmishmish"
instead of "Herekittykitty". Also the sounds that animals make are
different and that is confusing to me, but c'est la vie.
The other
day, we got amazing Peruvian takeout delivered to our house for 17 Quetzales.
That's about 2 U.S. dollars. Read it and weep.
I love
that tortillar is a verb. "Oh, I can't, I have to tortilla tomorrow."
THAT'S A THING PEOPLE SAY.
We usually
just say "Buenas" instead of "Buenas tardes" (me
especially, because my Gringa accent renders the word "tardes" almost
impossible) and people will sometimes respond with "Tardes".
"Buenas." "Tardes." It's like playing polite Marco Polo.
And since Guatemaltecos consider it to be "Buenas tardes" from 11 to
7, we play Marco Polo a YACHT.
Frosted
Flakes here are called "Zucaritas". My companion bought a type called
"Choco Zucaritas con (Insert word for Marshmallows here.)". That
literally translates to "Little Chocolate Sugars With Marshmallows".
#saludable
And I was
eating my Trix one morning and she was gloating about her little chocolate
sugars, and I went, "Whatever, at least I got a free action figure in my
Trix." (which I did. It was glorious.) and she retorted, "Whatever,
at least I got free diabetes."
So she's
pretty excellent.
The bugs
are not as bad as I feared, although last night I saw a spider that was 2
inches in circumference. #NOTIMPRESSED. We get the occasional cockroach in the
house, however, and my companion, Hna. Weatherford, is deathly afraid. Our
house has two levels - a bathroom and general room downstairs with the sink and
fridge and closets, and upstairs, a bedroom. I was in the bedroom the other
night and heard a terrific scream from downstairs. I called down,
"Cockroach?" and Hermana Weatherford yelled up, "No, just Satan
running across the floor!" Yep, that about sums it up.
We have
this amazing investigator getting baptized Saturday. She just got married to a
member last Friday, is 4 months pregnant, and is pretty much golden in every
way and too sweet for words. When we saw her at church on Sunday we said,
naturally, "How are you?" and she grinned and said, "I'm happy
to be here." And later she joked that her baby was kicking a ton
"because he's happy to be here, too!" CUTEST. #idie
Well,
loves, that's about it for the week.
Every week
gets a little bit easier and I love it a little bit more, and I really am so
grateful to be here.
Love,
Hermana
Brower
No comments:
Post a Comment