Hey dears,
Do you want to hear the best news ever? I bet you do.
First of all, I got an email from one of my sisters - to be used in the most literal sense - in Amatitlan. And she got baptized. And I cried. Best thing ever, I think. And about a month ago, her boyfriend, also one of my old investigators, got baptized and wants to go on a mission. First comes misison, then comes...ETERNAL FAMILY? Yespleasethankyou. I love them and am so seriously happy for them.
Second: My sister Priscila got baptized this Sunday.
You're about to hear the whole story, because it was my favorite baptism of all time, tied with Mauricio's. And I think I cried more in her hourlong baptismal service than I have in my whole mission. #truestorybro.
I love her, I love her, I love her. This girl is my sister. She has had to leave so much behind, has changed so much, her faith has grown from almost nonexistent to POWERFUL, and she's basically a superhero in my eyes.
The whole service went beautifully, she cried from the start, and then she got baptized.
I don't think I've ever cried during the actual baptism - I'm usually just grinning like a loon. But in Priscila's, I was literally holding my breath and crying as her friend Emanuel pronunced the words "Habiendo sido comisionado por Jesucristo, yo te bautizo en el nombre del Padre, del Hijo, y del Espiritu Santo. Amen" and she went under the water and back up. And we ran around the corner to give her her towel and clothes, and as she and Emanuel came out of the water, they hugged and he stood back and grinned, "Estas limpia!" and she just lost it and hugged us all, sopping wet. But did I care? Not a bit. Estaba limpia.
She went to change, crying in the stall, and I was crying by the sink (Bless Hna. Navarro for keeping her cool), and as Priscila was heading out of the stall, both of us, now under control, looked a the other and hugged and lost it. Again.
And then she bore her testimony and we both lost it. Again.
She said, all the while biting her lip, her eyebrows furrowed, fighting tears, "I'm thankful to all of you - I'm thankful to God - to have the opportunity to be here. I was looking for a path but didn't know what it was. I think I found it." And she paused, looked at her hands, breathed deeply, and said, "No. I found it."
Then we sang her favorite hymn, "I'm a Child of God", through which she miraculously (spelled right? not sure. speakin spanish baby.) stayed dry-eyed, through which I, not so shockingly, lost it again.
She hugged me and laughed, "Estas llorando mas que yo!"
And then we had cake from the Familia Cuc.
Does life get better? I submit that IT DOES NOT.
The first picture is of my sisters - my two Priscilas.
The second is of all the people that love her and helped her - and are my Antiguan familia.
This church is true, ladies and gents. It makes us happy.
Love you all very much.


No comments:
Post a Comment